Thursday, January 7, 2010

Laura's Song

Low Fat, Protein Power, Atkins, Weight Watchers... even the M&M diet... I've done them all.  My last stint was Weight Watchers and I was wildly successful at losing weight.  I took off right at 97 lbs, going from a size 22 jeans (and on the verge of needing a 24 - this at the "Fat Girl Store") to a size 6.  However, I found myself to be sorely lacking in the maintaining department, and that's how I find myself here today.  My friend Sandy told me that maintaining would be the hardest part, and she was right.  So now I'm facing this demon again.

I've gained back about 77 of those 97 lbs (although not nearly the jeans sizes - I'm resting at a 16 in the regular store, a 14 at the "Fat Girl Store").  I really don't want to be one of those stories... you know, the ones where the person gains it all back and then some?  The and then some would be very bad.

So in the past my WW weigh-in date has been Tuesdays.  I'm going to keep with that because I'm a creature of habit as I'm sure will become evident over time.  I'm also going to keep with the WW format utilizing WW online as I know that works for me.  I'm setting a Tuesday Do-Or-Die Deadline.  Tuesday will be my first weigh in date in almost two years.  I'll admit I got on the scale this morning and almost had a coronary.  I picked Linc up and weighed us together as a reminder of what I could be facing if I wasn't careful.  I was rather surprised that the scale didn't bleed.  Then this afternoon I confessed my weight to Julie.  It hurt, but I did it.  Julie and I might ride each other mercilessly about a lot of things, but about this she was amazing - compassionate, kind, and assured me that my arse didn't look as big as my weight might suggest.  Good friends do that.

Speaking of Julie, she and I have been preparing for our first weigh-in quite enthusiastically.  We prepared last night, are preparing tonight, and then again tomorrow night with a few girlfriends.  We might, in fact, gain an extra few pounds from our preparations.  But we're going to do it, and we hope that keeping ourselves accountable in a big way will help. So, here we go!

I wonder if we can fit one more plate of bacon cheese fries in there before Tuesday.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I was going to do WW for a week before I actually weighed in so it hopefully wouldn't be as painful, but I did it last week anyway. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I'm still annoyed, but it could have been worse. Hope you're pleasantly surprised, too.

Laura Carson said...

But that's good! Good that it wasn't as bad as you thought. When I did WW the first time I made a few changes (such as upping my water) before the official WI, and I suspect my initial WI was probably 4-5 lbs less than it would have been otherwise. ;)